The Policy Center’s Girl-Centered work results in Girl-Centered accomplishments. Each milestone is measured by the tangible, positive impact on girls, young women and those who identify as female and their families. As the Policy Center leads the Justice for Girls Reform movement, our accomplishments promote greater well-being for girls and create safer, more equitable communities where they can they can thrive.
Leading the Justice for Girls Reform Movement
• Produced 27 original research publications elevating issues impacting girls in the justice system.
• Cited or highlighted in 179 media pieces, including state and national publications.
Passed 5 laws in partnership with the Children’s Campaign:
1. Child Marriage Ban (2018)
2. Confidentiality of Juvenile Records (2016)
3. Expungement of Records for Minors (2016)
4. Civil Citations Expanded (2015)
5. Protection of Safe Harbor for child sex trafficking survivors (2014)
• Trained nearly 3,000 professionals and students in justice system, law enforcement, education, and health fields.
• Featured at national, state, & local conferences/webinars/trainings.
• 100+ annual participants in See the Girl Summit.
• Partnership with Mary Baldwin University.
• Girl Matters: It's Elementary replicated in three Virginia Schools.
• System Reform Model featured in Georgetown Journal on Poverty & Law (2013)
• Accelerating Change Award by the Center for The Study of Social Policy (2017)
• Served over 2,700 girls and young women.
• Developed five signature programs focused on preventing and interrupting deeper system involvement.
• Since inception, 74% reduction in girls’ incarceration in Duval County, out performing statewide reduction of 51%.
• See the Girl Day recognized by the City of Jacksonville, Florida
• PBS News Hour (2015), CBS 48 Hours (2018)
•Staff serve as trusted subject matter experts for media, community, and academic institutions